Saturday, March 14, 2009

Bohemian Deluxe.

While I have a definite appreciation for the days of yore, when women didn't leave the house without matching their handbag to their shoes, my favorite looks are all about the mix. I have an infatuation with styling pieces that juxtapose each other. Usually, I demonstrate this in my outfits by toughening up sweet, feminine pieces with something a little masculine or edgy. The mixture of masculine/feminine is a good stand-by, but on my radar recently has been the less overt union of free-spirited bohemian elements with pieces that are sleek or opulent. I'm particularly loving plaits in the hair as not only a breezy looking and springtime-perfect hairstyle, but as an accessory to add a touch of flower child to otherwise sophisticated looks. Stephanie of Modern Antoinette is a beautiful example of what I'm so into right now.

The braid she's adorned her perfect head of curls with is offset with a cool leather jacket and gilded accessories. I am unfortuantely a total klutz when it comes to french braiding, so every time I try to replicate this style on myself, it turns out to be an epic fail. Care to give me some lessons in the perfect braid, Stephanie? Head over to her site for more photos of her impeccable hair and outfits!


This photo of Mary Kate has always been a memorable one to me. So memorable, that I would not settle for any other photo of MK and her milk-maid braids because I was so dead set on finding this exact one. Why? Because she's sporting her hippie hair with a fur stole, making this ensemble something like a free-love/old hollywood hybrid. While I'm not a fur advocate, finding the right faux or vintage wrap could be great addition to luxe up a look. Plus, the braids and fur combo is pretty unexpected with this dress. How awesome is the sheer, boned bodice? Great and unique accessories too with the feathered (maybe?) bag and stack of metal bangles.


Now, off to go attempt to place a braid in my own hair....yikes. Oh, and also! Anyone reading who wants to link up, just let me know! I'm always looking to swap links and expand my own link list. Have a beautiful weekend, lovelies!

12 comments:

  1. I'm a huge fan of boho braids, myself. though like you I tend towards the epic failure region whenever I try them out myself...good luck on your next try at boho braids!

    PS I'd love to exchange links with you! your blog is absolutely fantastic!
    www.prettyexquisite.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. noo u look cute!!i think u should leave ur hair a bit messier and dont brush it to make it look natuarl
    &&keep practising!haha
    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Reminds me of Lauren Conrad from The Hills, I remember her wearing her hair like this on several occasions

    I agree btw, a nice braid can be the perfect accessory to any outfit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. braids are the way to go. love em. you look great xx
    www.ibitefashion.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey! Love your blog. Wanna swap links? I love those tights in your previous post. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. i love braids! but i hate the tight feeling on my head
    haha
    id love to switch links!?
    - Karen

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love braids, they're great for when my bangs just aren't falling right.

    I really like your new blog & I read A La Moda way way back in the day; wanna trade links?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think it looks sooo cute on other people but doesn't quite work out on my hair... it always falls out and goes flat. I'll keep trying though!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am in love with boho look! it is so asdorable and chic.

    And yeah, I am Czech, why are you asking?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love braids. I cut my hair a month ago, and I deeply regret it because I can't braid it anymore. :/

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love that photo of MK - I would love to have long hippie hair, but I'm way too impatient to grow it, and thus my hair is pixie cut (kind of the furthest away from hippie hair you can get!)

    I'd love to a link swap... http://whatnotandi.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete